Saturday, December 8, 2012

Salmon in Tomato Sauce




It’s 8:00 pm and I’m hungry. I just looked in the fridge and there’s barely a serving of leftover green beans. That’s it, nothing else. This is the danger zone; the time when running out for fast food makes sense, but I refuse to give in. So, I’m looking through the cabinets to see what I have that will make a quick dinner. Here’s what I came up with:

Salmon in tomato sauce

This is one of Mom’s old recipes, but with a twist or two. I had a few shrimp left in the freezer and I decided to throw in some curry powder for a little exotic flavor.

Ingredients:
1 can pink salmon
1 cup of medium shrimp
½ bell pepper diced
1 onion diced
1 cup brown rice
Mrs. Dash Table Blend
Mrs. Dash Onion & Herb
Curry Powder
Garlic Powder
Black Pepper
Cayenne Pepper

First, I put on my rice, as this will take the longest to cook; then I cut up my veggies. I put a little extra virgin olive oil in my skillet. I prefer my stainless steel skillet for something like this. Once it heats up I drop in the veggies and sauté them until the onions are clear. I add my can of salmon (again, I like to take the bones out as much as possible - just a personal preference), and mix – breaking up the salmon as I go. I then add in the can of tomato sauce and the shrimp. As always, I season according to my own taste and I believe you should too. Personally, I tend to be a little heavy on the garlic and cayenne. I did decide to add about a tablespoon of curry powder for a little twist in the flavor.

There it is, quick and easy. Ready in about 45 minutes; serve it over the rice. 

By the way, I also I had five pounds of carrots on hand, so I dropped these into my Omega 1000 and made some carrot juice to go along with this.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment